One of my favorite things about cooking is stepping out my back door to pick fresh herbs and vegetables from my garden. Serve this over your favorite pasta, spiralized vegetables or as a sandwich spread.
- 1/2 cup walnuts – toasted
- 1-2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3-4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lay walnuts on a baking sheet. Roast walnuts until they start to brown and smell toasted, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the walnuts and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until coarsely chopped. Add in basil leaves, lemon, yeast and salt and process again, about 1 minute. With the processor running, slowly pour in enough olive oil through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly blended and creamy.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, spiralized vegetables or as a sandwich spread.
- Can be refrigerated up to a week or scoop into ice cube trays and freeze.
- Makes approx. 1 cup