For those who have ever had to suffer with sinusitis, or sinus infection, you know the pain and misery of the headache that radiates into every part of your face or perhaps headache or pressure in the eyes, nose, or cheeks. Sinusitis is an inflammation, or swelling, of the tissue lining the sinuses that leads to an infection.
One of the reasons I got into the holistic field was my chronic sinus issues. For almost 10 years I suffered from recurring sinus headaches and infections. When the sinus infections progressed into ear infections, I knew something had to change. The sinusitis did not clear up overnight, it took months of work and change of diet before I was free of both headaches and sinus pain.
what I learned was that traditional answers, such as antibiotics, nasal steroids, and antihistamines, all aim to treat the immediate problem but does not necessarily address the root of the problem, especially if they re-occur often. Perhaps you have already tried conventional medicine, with no or poor results. Instead, try working with a holistic practitioner who help make the necessary lifestyle changes.
10 Natural Remedies for Sinus Infections
- Eliminate refined sugars — sugar has been shown to decreases white blood cells that help fight off infection.
- Avoid oranges and orange juices — Although orange juice contains some vitamin C, it has also been known to contribute to congestion and mucus build up. Choose a food based vitamin C such as camu camu instead of drinking juices or taking synthetically made vitamin C.\
- Avoid dairy products — Milk and other dairy products are mucus producing so it is best to avoid them.
- Oil of Oregano – contains two powerful compounds that have powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Can be inhaled via a steam bath or taken internally.
- Acupuncture – in Chinese medicine, sinusitis is the result usually of a wind pathogen, wind cold or wind heat, that has entered and concentrated in the head. Acupuncture can be very effective in opening up the nasal passages, and allowing patients with sinusitis to breathe more easily.
- Salt air inhalation – this is one of my favorite go-to’s for respiratory issues. The Himalayan Salt Inhaler™ is considered to be the most effective type of Speleotherapy (salt air therapy). The inhaler provides the natural balance of salt needed to enhance the healing process.
- Neti Pot – Canadian Medical Association Journal has even shown that neti pot usage can eliminate symptoms of chronic sinusitis.
- Essential Oils – inhaled, in a steam bath or diffused into the air, eucalyptus oil and peppermint essential oils can naturally open up the sinuses, clear mucus and eliminate infections.
- Probiotics – both human and animal studies have shown that oral probiotics reduce colonization of the nose and upper respiratory tract by pathogenic bacteria
- Homeopathics – work with a holistic practitioner who can recommend the proper homeopathic remedies
Always check with your health practitioner if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, have any ongoing medical concerns, or are currently taking other medications.