Barley’s most noteworthy health benefits is its high fiber content. It can also help control Blood Sugar Levels and lower cholesterol.
Barley unfortunately does contain gluten, so if you are celiac or gluten intolerant, replace the barley in this recipe with brown rice.
- ½ cup POT barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped vegetables, peeled and diced in ¼-inch cubes (carrots, celery, kale, green beans, cauliflower etc.)
- 2 1/2 cups mushrooms, cut in half and sliced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Rinse and soak barley in 1 cup of warm water while preparing rest of ingredients.
Heat 2 Tbsp. broth in a medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion, garlic, and vegetables in broth for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes. Add drained barley and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the remaining broth and bring soup to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until barley and vegetables are tender.