- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled red-skinned sweet potatoes
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled parsnips or carrots
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled turnips
- 1 cup 1/2-inch pieces peeled rutabaga
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
- Chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pot and sauté until light golden but not cooked through, about 1 minute.
3.Transfer chicken to bowl.
4.Add onion to pot and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.
5.Add garlic and stir 1 minute.
6.Add curry powder, cumin and cinnamon stick and stir 30 seconds.
7.Add sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, broth and currants. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
8.Add tomatoes and chicken with any accumulated juices to pot. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and flavors blend, about 5 minutes longer.
9.Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.