- 1/2 cup almonds, roasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp grated organic orange peel
- 1/4 tsp. pure orange or vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups whole grain flour (wheat, spelt, kamut)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Toast almonds for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and
then chop coarsely. Set aside.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 300F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs, extract and coconut oil together. Set aside.
4. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add to the egg mixture.
5. Using your hands combine all the flour in until a dough forms, adding almonds about halfway through.
6. With floured hands divide dough in half.
7. On a lightly floured surface roll each half of dough into a log about 10 inches (25cm) long and 2 inches (5 cm) wide.
8. Transfer logs to the prepared baking sheet, spacing the logs about 3 inches
(7.5 cm) apart, and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until firm to the touch (logs will spread during baking).
9. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
10. Transfer logs to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut log into slices 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick on the diagonal.
11. Arrange evenly on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
12. Remove from oven and let cool.
For chocolate glaze:
- 2 oz. organic chocolate, melted
1. Melt 2 ounces of organic dark in a small metal bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.
2. When melted, drizzle onto the biscotti.
3. Let the chocolate dry completely before serving or storing