Enjoy this winter warming soup full of nutritious veggies. Be creative and add your own favorite spices and vegetables.
- 3-5 lb roasting chicken, cooked
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped (optional)
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- Herbs ( thyme, bay leaf etc.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove chicken breasts and legs and set aside for later use.
2. Remove skin from chicken carcass and place into a stockpot along with the carrots, celery, onions, parsley, salt, pepper and herbs.
3. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil and then let simmer for 1 hour.
4. Pour chicken broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl or soup pot. (You can also let the broth to cool in the fridge so you can skim off the fat.)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- Homemade broth
- 1 cup green beans (cut into 1/2”pieces)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1. Return strained broth to the stove and then add wild rice.
2. Cook 30 minutes at medium boil. Add in carrots, celery, zucchini and other vegetables.
3. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are cooked about 15-20 min.
4. Stir in shredded chicken and serve.