A Castor oil pack is an external application of castor oil to the body. A piece of wool (or cotton) flannel is saturated with castor oil and applied to a specified area with, or without, heat.
Castor oil packs in general to improve assimilation, elimination, and circulation (especially of the lymphatic system)*. I have personally used it with myself and clients for other conditions such as gas, bloating, constipation and inflammation.
You will need the following materials:
- Castor oil (preferably cold pressed/processed)
- wool or cotton flannel to cover the area you will be working on
- old towels to protect bedding from any oil that drips, (it does not wash out, so make sure you are also not wearing your best clothing)
- Heating pad or hot water bottle
- plastic sheet / bag to cover castor oil pack
- Paper towels, wash cloth or sponge.
- soak flannel with castor oil until saturated but not dripping with oil
- Place an old towel over the area where you will be laying.
- Lie down and place the saturated pack on your area of concern (eg. abdomen, liiver, stomach etc.)
- Cover flannel with plastic-covered and place heating pad on top (if using).
- Keep the pack on for at least 1/2 hour but can be enjoyed for longer.
- When finished, take-off the pack with the trash bag and fold it in on itself and store it in a leak-proof container as you will be using this for multiple sessions. (Replace the pack only if it smells rancid )
- Wipe off or wash off excess oil to prevent staining of clothes.
- Use the pack for 3 days in a row. Then adjust frequency based on results.
- Saturate the flannel with castor oil (the first time the flannel is used, it will require a large amount of castor oil to saturate it.)
- Lay down on old towels and then place saturated flannel over area of concern.
- Cover the flannel with plastic and place heating pad or bottle over top.
- Relax with the warm castor oil pack for at least 30 minutes but can done for longer if you wish.
- Once you are done, remove flannel and place in a storage container as you can use this for several sessions. additional amounts of castor oil will need to be added to the pack before each use.
- wipe away or wash off any oils to prevent staining of clothing.
The flannel pack can be used repeatedly and be kept at room temperature. Replace the pack if it smells rancid. or discolors from toxins being released from the body.
Note: This method is one of the most efficient ways of making a pack. The easier and neater it is, the more likely it will be used. Saturate the flannel, but not to dripping.