Barley Soup is a family favorite. This delicious soup is easy to make and good for you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled carrots
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 10 cups (or more) low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2/3 cup dried lentils
- 4 cups (packed) coarsely chopped Swiss Chard (about 1/2 large bunch)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; sauté until onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Mix in cumin; stir 30 seconds.
- Add 10 cups broth and barley
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; partially cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice and lentils; cover and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add chard to soup; cover and simmer until chard is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in dill. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Optional: Thin with more broth, if desired.