The foods you eat and don’t eat will impact inflammation inside of your body. Inflammation has been found to be the root cause of many chronic health conditions and it plays a role in nearly every major illness.
It’s impossible to treat inflammation with just one approach. At Oasis Health we use an integrative approach to evaluate your inflammation, including diet changes, dowsing, lab testing, acupuncture and energy work.
One great way to reduce inflammation is through foods. A diet high in processed foods and sugars can cause a chronic inflammatory state. Through altering diet alone you can see begin to feel your overall health and wellbeing improving.
Step 1 – Reduce or eliminate refined sugar, caffeine and white flour and minimize processed snacks and meats. Substitute whole grains, raw foods, juicing, natural sugars etc. Many chronic conditions benefit greatly from avoiding wheat and/or gluten.
Step 2 – Decrease your amount of animal protein you consume, especially red meat, dairy and eggs. Wild fish high in omega 3’s is acceptable. Avoiding animal proteins may be difficult to follow, but the key is to gradually replace these foods with plant based alternatives. Eg. coconut milk, almond milk yogurt, diary-free cheese etc.
Step 3 – Eat more fruits and vegetables…mostly vegetables. Eat them lightly cooked or raw or juice them. Focus on more dark leafy greens, sprouts, microgreens and fresh organic berries.
Step 4 – Increase foods in your diet that are high in omega-3s like wild salmon and herring (consuming at least two to three times a week). You can also include chia seeds and flax seeds in your diet to boost your Omega 3s.
Step 5 – cook with anti-inflammatory foods and spices like garlic, turmeric and ginger while avoiding ngiht shades (tomato, potato, peppers, eggplant)
Step 6 – Drink Herbal teas and filtered water – (1/2 your body weight in ounces, Eg. 100lb person needs 50 oz or 6 glasses)
▪ spring, bottled, filtered or reverse-osmosis filtered water is best.
▪ You may also choose to drink 2 to 4 cups of herbal tea.
▪ Herbal teas for digestion : Peppermint, Fennel, Ginger
▪ Herbal teas for sleep: chamomile, sleepy time tea
Step 6 – Remove these offenders from your diet, home and personal products.
- BPA (canned foods, so go fresh)
- Organophosphate pesticides (produce, so research which produce items that must be bought organic)
- processed / refined foods (anything already prepared, in a box, fast food)
- Dairy (milk, cheese, cream, ice cream, butter, cottage cheese etc.)
- Red meat and pork
- Tomato, potatoes, peppers and eggplant (nightshades)
- Peanuts, peanut butter
- Refined sugars
- fried foods
- artificial sweeteners
Below is a sample meal plan that you can use as a guide.